- Refugee Assistance: Providing emergency relief in transit camps and subsequently assisting returnees from Pakistan secure shelter and means of earning a livelihood
- Infrastructure Strengthening: Delivering food aid programmes in Afghanistan which combined food aid with the rehabilitation of schools, infrastructure and health clinics
- Hurricane Sandy: Assisting in the relief efforts providing shelter aid and facilitating access to government services
- Calgary Floods: Responding to the emergency flood in Southern Alberta, and assisting with restoration projects
- South Asia Earthquake: Responding to emergency needs, providing shelter, food and medicine to isolated and vulnerable communities affected by the earthquake in both Indian- and Pakistani-administered Kashmir
- Indian Ocean Tsunami: Providing relief and recovery programmes to communities affected by the 2004 tsunami in Andhra Pradesh, India
- Madagascar: Providing assistance to communities when they were hit by a severe cyclone
- Mozambique: Delivering emergency humanitarian aid to over 30,000 refugees by supplying food, medicine, boats and essential commodities
- South Asia Earthquake: Responding to emergency needs, providing shelter, food and medicines to isolated and vulnerable communities affected by the earthquake in both Indian and Pakistani administered Kashmir
- Emergency Response Teams: Establishing Community Emergency Response Teams, training volunteers in disaster risk management and establishing community stockpiles
- Settlement: Provision of humanitarian and development assistance to the Tajik labor migrant population in Russia on an ongoing basis.
- Hazard Mitigation: Undertaking detailed hazard vulnerability assessments and natural hazard mitigation projects
- Hurricane Sandy: Assisting in the relief efforts providing medical aid and facilitating access to state services
Establishing the Search and Rescue Team in Badakshan FOCUS Afghanistan has organized a number of initiatives that empower women to support national disaster risk reduction and relief efforts. With the support of The United States Agency for International Development, FOCUS Afghanistan has established the first ever advanced Search and Rescue Team (SART) in the Badakhshan… Read more »
Important information and city service updates for individuals and households impacted by the ice and snow storm in Ontario and Quebec.
Did you know? Approximately 5,000 earthquakes are recorded in Canada every year. Canada gets more tornadoes than any other country except the USA, averaging about 50 tornadoes per year. Approximately 85% of Canadians agree that having an emergency kit…
Did you know…? Too much sun and heat exposure can lead to serious heat-related illnesses. It is possible to get sunburn on a cloudy day! Heat-related illnesses include heat stress, heat stroke and heat exhaustion. Symptoms can range from painful muscle spasms to fainting, seizures, unconsciousness and even death. Anyone can experience heat stress. The… Read more »
Support FOCUS by making a one-time donation, a securities donation or a workplace matching gift. CONTRIBUTE TODAY AND BECOME A FOCUSSTAR FOCUSSTAR is an automated regular donation method which provides FOCUS with an ongoing stream of funds. Since the first 72 hours following a disaster are the most crucial, FOCUSSTAR is a lifeline that enables FOCUS to respond when help is most needed…. Read more »
Disaster Risk Reduction FOCUS Pakistan is mobilizing female members of the Pakistani police force to respond to disasters through their disaster response training program. The program provides officers with comprehensive first aid training skills, casualty assessment, spinal cord training, evacuation and cardiopulmonary resuscitation techniques. The training program was developed in recognition of the important role… Read more »
In light of the recent Wildfires in Western Canada, did you know…?
Wildfires are a natural hazard in any forested and grassland region in Canada…
In June 2013, Alberta was hit by an intense low pressure system resulting in serious flooding across Southern Alberta. Overall the flood is estimated to have displaced 100,000 to 120,000 people in 31 communities across Alberta. Learn how FOCUS contributed to the relief effort.
There are millions of earthquakes that occur every year worldwide. The majority of these earthquakes are low magnitude events that occur in remote areas. However, according to the US Geological Survey, there are an average of 1470 earthquake events per year that register higher than 5.0 on the Richter scale. The ShakeOut initiative is an… Read more »
A Glimpse in to FOCUS’s Recent Activities: PAKISTAN: Mitigating the potential threat of Khurdopin glacier Khurdopin is a glacier located 3,660 metres in the Karakoram mountain range in Shimshal Valley, northern Pakistan. The increasing temperatures and precipitation can trigger glacial lake outburst floods, which could cause loss of life and damage to property. Khurdopin is in… Read more »
With the aim of promoting disaster resilience in the development and rehabilitation of Afghanistan, Focus Humanitarian Assistance (FOCUS) in Afghanistan and the State Ministry of Disaster Management and Humanitarian Affairs of Afghanistan (SMDM) organised a conference on Mainstreaming Disaster Risk Reduction (DRR) into the Development Planning Process. The conference was held in the United Arab… Read more »
Disaster Risk Management in Tajikistan & Kyrgyzstan The geography and topography of Tajikistan and Kyrgyzstan make them high-risk countries for natural disasters. This is especially true of the isolated mountainous communities of Gorno Badakhshan Autonomous Oblast (GBAO) in Tajikistan and Alai and Chon Alai in Kyrgyzstan, which are subject to frequent hazards such as Glacial… Read more »
In June 2016, Focus Humanitarian Assistance (FOCUS) delivered vital food supplies provided by the United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) to 327 households, or 1,547 individuals in the Wakhan Corridor of Afghanistan, who have suffered severe food shortages during recent months. Villagers in the districts of Big and Small Pamirs, located in Afghanistan’s remote Badakhshan province… Read more »